Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Gluten Soapbox


I have seen so many articles, cartoons and Facebook posts lately making fun of people on a gluten free diet.  I feel I owe it to my daughter to clarify a few things. 

Yes, eating gluten free seems to be a bit of a fad these days, and, honestly, I have to wonder if people who are “trying” to eat gluten free have any idea what they’re talking about.  It is a life-altering commitment to live a gluten free lifestyle.  Yes, I said lifestyle, not diet.  When Addison was diagnosed with celiac we had to change not only the foods she ate, but our shampoos, make-up, lotions.  She can no longer play with regular playdough or certain paints.  Anytime there is a craft activity involving pasta, cereal or any other foods- guess what?  Addison is at risk for being sick for a week. 

Learning a list of literally hundreds of ingredients to avoid, scrutinizing food labels, paying 3 times as much for gluten-free alternatives, making alternate arrangements for every birthday party, restaurant outing or holiday event is not something many people would choose to do.  We have a separate toaster, separate cookie sheets and dish brushes.  We have a constant awareness to not contaminate her foods by sticking our hands in the chip bag or by touching her food with gluten on our hands.  I’m sure Addison would love nothing more than to down a box of goldfish and a real chocolate cupcake. (Don’t get me wrong- I am happy to do it to keep my daughter healthy, but it is not something I would do for fun.)

Celiac is a genetic autoimmune disorder that affects about 3% of the population.  For these people, gluten is a poison to their systems.  When exposed, their intestines lose the ability to absorb properly, which puts the person at risk for anemia, malnutrition, intestinal cancers among a laundry list of other health problems.  I don’t see anyone making fun of diabetics on a low-carb, low-sugar diet or hypertensives on a low-sodium diet.

Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and contaminated oats.  For those without celiac or gluten intolerance, it is not harmful.  In fact, most of the breads and cereals that first come to mind are enriched with vitamins to promote health even beyond the benefit of the whole grains and fiber inherent in the foods themselves.  That’s right, those of you using your noggins are realizing that means that a gluten free diet also requires some effort to make sure that person is getting enough fiber and grains elsewhere in their diet.

As I mentioned before, please don’t think I’m complaining.  I am grateful that there is a relatively simple solution to the life-threatening condition we would otherwise have on our hands.  But the next time you choose to make fun of someone, do it about something they can control.

No comments:

Post a Comment