Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Learning As I Go

Last week I called a preschool to ask about taking a tour to see if it was somewhere we wanted to send Addison. I was told that she cannot attend there because she has Down Syndrome (they don't take kids with special needs). I can understand how some kids with special needs require extra attention or have medical needs that cannot be met by the typical preschool staff. But, at the same time, Addison has none of that, and I felt like she was being rejected because she's different. I will not lie- I was rude to the lady (she was not particularly friendly from the beginning). Now I feel kind of bad- kind of- and wish I could explain myself. Although she'll probably never read this, I want to say it anyway:

Dear Preschool Lady,
I'm sorry I was rude to you on the phone. Please understand that for the last 2 years I have been told that I am my child's advocate; that I have to fight for her when she cannot fight for herself. I understand that some kids with special needs would put a strain on your staff or require more attention than you are able to provide. Those characteristics, however, do not describe my daughter. Imagine for a moment that a school told you they would not accept your child because she was hispanic (or fair-skinned or too tall). "We don't speak Spanish, and we don't have translators (or sunscreen or chairs big enough)," she'd tell you. "But my child speaks English. She was born in Oklahoma. She doesn't need a translator," you'd tell her. "I'm sorry," she says, "we just don't take foreigners." Do you see how frustrating this is? I would appreciate a little more understanding in the future, and I will find a better way to advocate for my daughter. Thank you, Rachel

2 comments:

  1. oh, rach. i'm sorry she was so rude to you. i would not have been as nice in my pretend letter. i love ya'll and we're fighting for addison, too! we love her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that, Rach. I wouldn't feel bad at all for having a little sting to your tone... although I can't see you being rude! :) You're the best mom to Addison. You've got a whole army of people who would march straight up to that preschool lady and tell her some things.

    ReplyDelete